These Yam Kale Balls are delicious and work well as appetizers, sides or for lunches the next day. They also freeze well.
It’s always nice to find a filling and tasty easy to make gluten free vegan dish that also works well for easy transport. I can put a few of these in ziploc bag for my daughter’s lunches.
They also word as great sides to any meal. When I serve them I add terriyaki sauce since my kids are very much into yam sushi rolls and are use to eating yam with terriyaki sauce.
You can also make this recipe without oats and it works perfectly well. Just make sure your mashed Yam, Kale and Chickpea flour is thick of enough to make a good ball.
Let me know how this recipe works out for you below!
- 2 Medium Yams Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Almond MIlk
- 1 Cup finely chopped Kale leaves
- 1/2 Cup of Chickpea Flour
- 1 Cup of Oats
- 1 Pinch of Hing
- 1 tsp Cumin (ground)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- Place 1 cup of water in a large saucepan and set to boil. Chop your Yam into what amounts to about 3 cups worth and then add to water. Now cut up your kale while removing the stems and add to the boiling water. Cook vegetables and stir until the Yams are soft and water is mostly gone. Add additional water if needed. Set oven to 400ºF/200C and prepare a baking sheet with lined parchment paper.
- Once Yam and Kale is cooked add the Almond Milk and mash. Now add the Chickpea Flour and Oats, Hing, Cumin and Salt. Mash all the ingredients together and then roll into golf ball size balls. Place balls on baking sheets and place into oven for 20-25 minutes.