This is a great make and take salad for potlucks or picnics!
So this Red Cabbage Quinoa Salad recipe came about because I had a half a head of red cabbage in the fridge and needed to do something with it before i ran out of time. I didn’t feel like my usual Red Cabbage and Apple subji that I make with fenugreek as the secret ingredient so had to find something else. This was adapted from a few similar recipes out there but I used as always what I actually had in my kitchen at the time.
A few changes I made were flax seed oil instead of sesame oil, Celery instead of Green Onions as I don’t use Onions or Garlic in any of my cooking and Acorn Squash for added color and diversity.
The results were wonderful and the salad actually serves quite well as a whole small in itself without feeling heavy. It’s a must try, let me know if you do in the comments below!
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cup water
- 3 Cups Red Cabbage
- 2 Cups Acorn Squash (chopped)
- 1 Cup of Celery (diced)
- 1 Cup of Cashews
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 4 Tsp Cane Sugar
- 4 Tsp Flax Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil (for Sauteing)
- Place Quinoa with the water in a medium pot, bring to a boil, turn down to medium, and then cover till cooked.
- While the Quinoa is cooking, in a pan heat Coconut oil. Place Celery and Acorn Squash in the pan and saute until vegetables are tender. Next add in Red Cabbage and Cashews and continue to saute until Red Cabbage has become slightly wilted.
- Now you can add your cooked Quinoa to a large bowl and mix in the cooked vegetables. Mix Rice Wine Vinegar, Sugar, Soy Sauce and Flax oil in a small bowl then pour over Quinoa and veggies. Serve hot or chilled!