When you want a meal in one casserole dish that is Vegan and satisfying, Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie is a great choice!
This dish is fairly simple to prepare and you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. In my case I had potatoes (ok this is the one veggie you do need on hand, everything else you can substitute), purple cabbage, an orange sweet pepper and broccolli. For seasoning I used fresh Marjoram, Parsley, Thyme and Rosemary from our garden but feel free to use dried versions too.
Other vegetables you can add are corn, cauliflower or even some leafy greens!
For the pie crust I used a simple Vegan Pie Crust recipe which I’ll link to here but you can also use any other crust of your choice.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups diced vegetables of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup of water
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried marjoram
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Salt
- One 9-inch prepared good-quality pie crusts, preferably whole grain
- 1/2 cup fine whole grain bread crumbs
- Dice up all the potatoes and boil in water till cooked. Once done, take half the potatoes and mash them while leaving the other half cooked but diced. Set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add all the vegetables of your choice with a 1/4 cup of water; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender but not overdone, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet, then pour in the rest of the water.
- Cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. until the it thickens.
- Stir in both the diced and mashed potatoes plus add the thyme, marjoram and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and pat in.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over each pie.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- Let the pies cool of for about 10 minutes and then cut and serve!